TNT’s CELTICS-KNICKS MATCHUP: CABLE’S BIGGEST CHRISTMAS DAY AUDIENCE EVER
TNT earns a 3.4 U.S. HH Rating and more than 5.9 Million Total Viewers as Network tips-off
2011-12 NBA Season; Game ranks as Fourth Most-Watched Regular-Season Contest in Cable TV History
NBA.com Sees Strong Double Digit Increases
TNT opened its coverage of the 2011-12 NBA regular season on Christmas Day with more than 5.9 million total viewers, a 3.4 U.S. HH Rating and 3.9 million households, marking the most-watched NBA regular-season game on Christmas ever on cable. The game, a two-point victory by the New York Knicks over the Boston Celtics, marked the official tip-off of the NBA regular season.
Only three games, all broadcasted by TNT, delivered a higher audience for a NBA regular-season game on cable then yesterday’s Boston-New York matchup.
- Miami at Boston (7,348,000 total viewers on 10/26/2010)
- Miami at Cleveland (7,096,000 total viewers on 12/02/2010)
- LA Lakers at Chicago (7,271,000 total viewers on 2/2/1996)
Locally, yesterday’s Celtics-Knicks game delivered a 7.8 U.S. HH Rating in Boston and a 7.2 U.S. HH Rating in
The Christmas afternoon matchup between the Knicks and Celtics also registered triple-digit growth in all key demos vs. TNT’s coverage of the 2010-11 NBA regular season, including:
- U.S. HH Rating: 3.4 vs. 1.6 rating (+113%)
- Total Viewers: 5,860,000 vs. 2,453,000 (+139%)
- Households: 3,925,000 vs. 1,826,000 (+115%)
- A18-34: 1,859,000 vs. 810,000 (+130%)
- A25-54: 2,901,000 vs. 1,221,
- A18-49: 3,206,000 vs. 1,378,000 (+133%)
- M18-34: 1,278,000 vs. 567,000 (+125%)
- M18-49: 2,227,000 vs. 970,000 (+130%)
- M25-54: 1,956,000 vs. 855,000 (+129% )
The day was also a huge success for NBA’s digital platforms as fans logged on to NBA.com for news, highlights and analysis. NBA.com experienced extensive traffic (domestic) throughout Christmas Day including:
- Page Views: 20 million page views ( +67% versus Christmas 2010); this ranked as the site’s second highest day for page views; trails only LeBron James’ ‘The Decision’ in summer of 2010 (23.3 million).
- Video Streams: 5.5 million (+84% versus Christmas 2010)