FANS TO CHOOSE TOP ALL-TIME MLB ALL-STAR MOMENT IN
MLB Network’s Bob Costas Narrates Each Video
Former All-Stars and MLB Network Analysts Al Leiter, Harold Reynolds, and Mitch Williams Determined the Moment Match-Ups
Cal Ripken Jr. will take on Babe Ruth. Bo Jackson’s bomb in Anaheim will try to overcome Reggie Jackson’s titanic blast that hit a transformer on the roof at Tiger Stadium. And John Kruk’s hilarious at-bat against Randy Johnson will try to beat out Stan “The Man” Musial’s walk-off home run in a new bracket tournament called Midsummer Classics on MLB.com.
Fans now have the opportunity to vote for their favorite Midsummer Classic moment from a total of 16 (eight American League and eight National League) in a bracket format to determine the greatest moment in the history of the All-Star Game. Starting on Saturday each week, fans will vote at MLB.com/moments until one AL and one NL moment square off in the final week leading into the 82nd MLB All-Star Game, which will be broadcast on FOX on Tuesday, July 12 starting at 8 p.m. Eastern.
Narrated by MLB Network’s Bob Costas, each moment will be captured in a short video that will be available on MLB.com and shareable and embeddable online and through social media. The bracket match-ups were determined by former All-Stars and MLB Network analysts Al Leiter, Harold Reynolds and Mitch Williams.
Here is a link to the brackets. Following are the first round match-ups:
- Ted Williams Honored at All-Century Team Ceremony/Pedro Martinez Strikeout Performance (1999)
vs. Fred Lynn Hits Only All-Star Game Grand Slam (1983)
- All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium’s Last Season Ends in 15th Inning Walk-Off (2008) vs. Ted Williams Hits Walk-Off Home Run (1941)
- Babe Ruth Hits First Ever All-Star Game Home Run (1933) vs. Cal Ripken Jr. Moves Back to Shortstop and Hits Home Run in His Final All-Star Game (2001)
- Reggie Jackson Hits Rooftop Home Run (1971) vs. Bo Jackson Does It All in Anaheim (1989)
- Fernando Valenzuela and Dwight Gooden Strikeout Six Straight All-Stars (1984) vs. Johnny Callison Hits Walk-Off Home Run (1964)
- Carl Hubbell Strikes Out Five Consecutive Hall of Famers (1934) vs. Dave Parker Guns Down Brian Downing at Home From Deep Right Field (1979)
- Pete Rose Runs Over Ray Fosse (1970) vs. Moises Alou Knocks In Tony Gwynn to Win the Game (1994)
- Stan Musial Hits Walk-Off Home Run (1955) vs. John Kruk Survives At Bat Against Randy Johnson (1993)
The voting periods will be as follows:
Round One (16 Midsummer Classics): Saturday, June 11 – Saturday, June 18
Round Two (8 Midsummer Classics): Saturday, June 18 – Saturday, June 25
Round Three (4 Midsummer Classics): Saturday, June 25 – Saturday, July 2
Round Four (2 Midsummer Classics): Saturday, July 2 – Saturday, July 9